Please feel free to contact me with questions or comments at christopher.gajda@yahoo.com

Saturday, November 1, 2014

All Saints Day in Dravtsi

November 1st - All Saints Day. Unlike in America, this is a major religious holiday here. Everyone goes out to the graves of their relatives in the morning, cleans them, plants flowers, brings new wreaths and candles. Then in the afternoon, a religious service is held for the souls of the departed, with the priest blessing every grave, reading the names of the deceased, while a chorus sings in the background. This goes on for hours. Also relatives have a chance to see people they haven't seen in a while. I met quite a few relatives whom I hadn't met before.

Marta and Klara's parents, Elizabeth and Mikola Silvasi


Ivan's parents, and grandmother, Yuri and Irina Maksimovich, and Maria Pashko



My grandfather's sister, Maria Matsko


My grandmother's sister Verona and her husband Ivan Silvasi; also buried in the same grave is my grandmother's mother, Mari Toth Tseholnyai


My grandmother's father, Mihailo Tseholnyai


The husband of my grandmother's niece Elizabeth -  Ivan Hlivka


My grandmother's niece Irina


and Irina's husband Emerich Hoidra


My grandmother's niece Mariya and her husband Yuri Gombosh


The wife of my grandfather's nephew Mihailo Vasko, Magdaline


Julius Kish's mother, Maria. Julius is married to Marta's daughter Tanya


Elizabeth's younger daughter Olga, her daughter and granddaughter


Amixture of grain and raisins to be eaten at the cemetery, with bread and wine




Marta Didyk and her family




The grave of Irina Hoidra's son, Volodya


Josef Molnar's brother Volodya. Josef is married to Natalya, Elizabeth's oldest daughter


Josef Molnar's parents


Olga, Alla, Natalya, Josef, Josef's niece, and Josef's sister-in-law


Sasha, his mother and aunt, their mother Marina (Marisa Gombosh's daughter)


My grandfather's brother Andrew


Andrew's first wife, Anna

Bejla Vasko at his mother's grave. She was Andrew's 2nd wife



My grandfather's nephew Ivan Matsko and wife Olena. Ivan was son of Maria Matsko


Yuri Mihailovich Vasko, Bejla Vasko and wife Anna. Yuri is son of Mihail, son of Andrew


Andrew Vasko, with first wife, daughters, and baby son Mihail


Mihail Vasko and wife Magdalena



Mihailo's grandson Evgeny. Evgeny is son of Yura.


on right, Mihailo Andeyevich Vasko. He is 84.


Mihailo's son Mihail. In back in doorway is Yuri's eldest son Sasha


Mihailo's wife, his two daughters, and granddaughter





It will take me a few days to organize everyone's names!




2 comments: