Please feel free to contact me with questions or comments at christopher.gajda@yahoo.com

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Ukrainian folk songs, folk instruments, and politics

During my trip into Uzhgorod today, I came across a street musician who was playing traditional folk instruments - various flutes and wind instruments he had made himself.



He was a really friendly guy, spoke some English, and let me set up my computer and microphone to record his music. In fact, I think that he was a little flattered that I would want to record his music! He told me what each of the instruments was, the song he was playing, etc. He told me his name, Andrey Gennadievich, and gave me his email address. 


Leaving the musician, I went to an ice cream shop. I had some trouble communicating with the waitress; some people understand me more easily than others. While I was trying to order some ice cream, another customer seated at a nearby table said to me " My daughter speaks English! She will help you!" Her daughter was about 12 years old, and helped me order a bowl of chocolate ice cream with nuts. I found out that the girl takes English lessons at the "Life" school on Petefi Square. This is in the same building in which I volunteer, with the LT Language School. "Life" is on the second floor, and "LT" is on the third. "Life" English school is run by an Evangelical NGO, doing missionary work and proselytizing for their church. 

There was lots of activity in Teatralna Square. There were several booths for various political parties, booths run by volunteers asking for money to support the regular troops and also the volunteer brigades fighting for Ukraine in Donbas region. 




Below is a booth run by volunteers, asking for support for the "Donbas Battalion". The Donbas battalion  is an all volunteer group, made up of men who have had combat experience in the Ukrainian Ground Forces or the Soviet Army. The Battalion was founded by Semen Semenchnko, an ethnic Russian from Dontesk, who was a major in the Ukrainian National Guard. The Donbas Battalion has as their logo the Tryzub designed to resemble a diving falcon. The "Tryzub" is the national symbol of Ukraine, and dates back thousands of years. It is called the "Tryzub", or "Trident", but is actually a stylized depiction of a bird. This design can be found on ancient petroglyphs thousands of years old. The ancient medieval Poles called the tryzub design on the banners of enemy Ukrainian tribes, the "Shadow of the Falcon". 


I saw a group of girls in folk costume, carrying balloons. I thought that they were part of a vocal group, or maybe a dance group, getting ready to perform on Teatralna Square. 





I couldn't understand most of what they were saying, but I understood that the groups leader was asking for my name and phone number. 




I stopped at a booth where volunteers were collecting money, to buy needed items for the military, such as flak jackets. I had talked with this girl before, so I asked in English what the girls in folk costume were doing. She laughed and said "Do I have a stamp on my forehead that says "I speak English"?". She had forgotten that since I've talked with here several times, that I knew she spoke English. 


She told me that the girl asking for phone numbers was getting married, and the other girls were her friends, and this was part of a bachelorette party. For one of the games they were playing, the bride had a challenge to get a certain number of men's phone numbers.

There was some sort of gymnastic exhibition in the square; it was hard to get good photos, because by nature gymnastics involves movement - it's not static. 






Unbelievably, one gymnast is supporting another by his neck!


Some veterans of the volunteer battalion "Donbas" were in Uzhgorod on leave, and enjoying the performance. 



There were a half dozen booths set up by political parties, soliciting support for the elections at the end of the month. No matter what booth I was at, regardless the party or bloc, the volunteers had the same message for me: If Ukraine is to have any future, "Putin must die."

I spoke to one of the volunteers for almost an hour; after speaking with him I decided not to use any names of post any photos. This volunteer told me that participating in politics, especially anti-Putin politics, is hazardous to one's health. He told me that he fears he may be killed by Putin's agents within Ukraine, or be beaten members of opposition parties. Nevertheless, he thought that the future of Ukraine was important enough that he has given up his job to work as a volunteer for a particular candidate, and is willing to risk his life. 





No comments:

Post a Comment