Please feel free to contact me with questions or comments at christopher.gajda@yahoo.com

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Bedbugs!!!!

I left my cameras with the relatives, so no new photos this post. Plane trip from Budapest went pretty nice. Got to Amsterdam, where I had a 12 hour layover. I didn't know much about flying, so I just assumed that once you went through airport security, you couldn't leave and come back in. All of the shops in the airport were closing, and I wondered what I was going to do for 12 hours. I sat down at the only bar still open, and ordered beer. Another couple sat down beside me, and started talking.I could tell they were either Russian or Ukrainian, so I asked if they were. They said yes, and we started a conversation about my trip, and theirs, found out the woman's cousin lived in Uzhgorod. I was surprised how easy it was by now to have a simple conversation in my mishmash of Russian and Ukrainian.

I found out that I didn't have to stay in the airport; I could leave and go through security again. I took a transit bus to a cheap hostel, where I had a single room. Seemed decent and clean enough; was the cheapest option in a city that doesn't have any cheap options - Amsterdam is expensive!

In the morning, got up, showered, got on the plane for an 8 hour flight to NY. The flight was smooth; only complaint was that the stewardesses kept the plane like a pigsty. They were really good at offering and bringing you food and drink, but terrible when it came to coming back through for garbage, paper, etc.

Landed in JFK. JFK was the worst experience of the entire trip. In every other city and airport, people went out of their way to help you. Not JFK. They either didn't want to be bothered, or gave you wrong info. My ticket didn't tell me which terminal to go to, or which gate. (There are about 6 different terminal). I was sent to 4 different terminals before I got to the right one. Took me 2 hours. Good thing I had a 5 hour layover. I was so soaked in sweat that I took off my clothes in the restroom, soaked my shirt in water, gave myself a sponge bath and changed clothes. Found out that I'd been bitten by bedbugs in my Amsterdam hotel room!!!

The Homeland Security people were a real treat. Half their rules don't make any sense. I had my passport inside a little pouch on my belt; I was told I would have to send the pouch (with only my passport inside) through the x-ray machine, risking getting it stolen, but I didn't have to send my wallet through the x-ray machine! It was OK to carry my it (stuffed with all kinds of stuff) in my hands. I could have had a small explosive charge in my wallet, but my passport had to be x-rayed?????

The plane ride to Pittsburgh was the worst. Boarded, and seated behind me was a family with more money than sense or parenting skills. Self centered, thought they were superior because of their money, and entitled. No consideration for any other passengers. They let their brat of a three year old scream her head off playing with her brother, while we sat on the runway for 2 hours. Then once the plane took off, the brat was screaming because she was distressed, and by then nothing could stop her (the brat). If I could have opened the windows, I would have thrown her out of the plane, along with her parents. Even worse, the plane was only 25% full. The stewardesses knew what was going on; there were plenty of empty seats. The stewardesses could have moved the brat to the back of the plane, or moved us. They just ignored her, because they had the option of moving to the cabin. Finally, the Chinese girl beside me had enough, unfastened her seatbelt, and switched seats. I did the same.

Pittsburgh. Finally. Almost home. Stopped at Enterprise to rent a car, and found out they were sold out. Asked the shuttle service about any buses to Sharon; there weren't any. Sat down to get online and find a way home. They girl at the shuttle desk had taken pity on me, used her cell phone to call around, and got me a taxi from Slippery Rock to come get me and take me to Sharon (at half the price the airport taxis wanted. Had to wait a little while, but I didn't mind.

Home! My kitties are glad to see me!

No comments:

Post a Comment