Please feel free to contact me with questions or comments at christopher.gajda@yahoo.com

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Feast of the Ascension

Thursday (?) 6/13 - Time is going by quickly here; I have to leave in 12 days. Doesn't seem long enough. Some of the relatives wanted to schedule some tours of L'viv or other cities for me, but weren't able to. Just as well, because I'd rather spend time here meeting more relatives. Meet more every day, and haven't seen half of them.

Got up in the morning, went to church for Holy Day and Mirovania. Got service on audiotape. Will try to put on YouTube later. The people in the church are getting used to seeing me, and come up and talk to me. One of the alter boys, about 14 years old, (named Misha of course) came and greeted me in perfect English. Everybody is exited about an American in town. I'm only the second American to visit Dravtsi in recent memory.


After Church, went to Olga's house for lunch. But first Ivan brought out one of his hams, and cut me off a slice. It was a lot like really good Italian prosciutto. Ivan laughed when I told him what prosciutto sells for in America.

 I think all the women try to outdo each other in feeding me. I think today's lunch wins so far, at least on the number of courses. We ate from 12 noon until 3PM. Every time I thought lunch was over, another course would come out. There was studenina, salo, ham, cheeses, bliny, salads, chicken roll. Then came chicken soup. After soup, fried chicken legs and potatoes. Then stuffed cabbage. Then dessert. Two kinds of home baked cakes, and I had to try both. And more wine. After dinner, went to Klara's to sleep for a few hours.












6PM, Misha drove Klara, Marta, Katya and I to Father Banick and his wife's home in Baranintsi. More food. Pani Banick had baked a bread with walnuts in it; was served with huge pieces of cheese that looked like mozzarella, and topped with tomato. After dinner at Olga's, I just stuck to plain bread.

Got back to Klara's, the young law students invited me to go with them into the orchard to pick cherries. I learned that they travel around Europe quite a bit. One girl has been to Spain, France, and will be flying to Spain again on summer vacation. Another is going to Slovakia. And the third is travelling to St. Petersburgh. All live in the mountains.







Walked to the little mini-mart nearby. By now I'm able to go to stores by myself, and order things. Too bad I have to leave soon, just when I'm getting accustomed to life here. Wish I were younger and in better shape. My back hurts, my hips hurt, my knees hurt, I get muscle cramps, but it's all worth it to be here. I lost a tooth filling today, too. Klara said I can go to the dentist down the street tomorow. I'll get to experience Ukrainian dentistry. She said to have a tooth pulled, it's only $5 US dollars; a filling is $8-$10. In America, I've spent thousands on a single tooth, with root canals and crowns. I should have saved the money and come here.

For a late dinner, Ivan made me try his green shallot and ham soup. It was served cold, very good, but I just couldn't finish. Klara asked if I wanted some goat. This was the first time she believed me that I'd finally eaten enough!!

No comments:

Post a Comment