Please feel free to contact me with questions or comments at christopher.gajda@yahoo.com

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Ivan and his scythe

Wednesday - Got up in the morning, I must have been fed something but I've been fed so much I can't remember what. Watched Ivan repair his scythe and then cut the grass with it.








I wanted to go to the bazaar by myself, to learn to get around in Ukraine by myself. I had Klara show me how much to pay the bus driver, and tell me what bus to take there and back. She walked me to the bus stop, holding my hand like I was a little kid. Then she saw her nephew Misha driving down the road and flagged him down to give me a ride to the bazaar. I told Misha that Klara was like a mother hen and was treating me like a baby, even though we're the same age, and both laughed. I couldn't take my camera to the bazaar because Klara said "mnogo durock na bazaar". I was able to walk all around the bazaar by myself, talking to shopkeepers. The shopkeepers who were in a hurry and talked fast I couldn't communicate with, but the ones who were patient and talked slowly I could communicate well with. Had a good time.

At the bus stop to catch the bus back to Dravtsi, I met an old man I've met several times on the street. He always talks to me, but I don't know what the hell he's saying. I don't know if he's crazy, or drunk. The first time I met him, I spoke in Russian, and I got the impression he didn't like Russians. Today when I told him my grandparents were from Dravtsi, he seemed happy. But he kept talking about Hitler. And he said goodbye to me in German, "Auveidersien Mien Herr" or something like that.

When I got, Ivan had food waiting. He had cooked a bean soup, potatoes, and some goat meat. The soup was fantastic. So were the potatoes. I was surprised; the goat was good! It was really tender. One of my sisters loves to cook, and asked me to get her some recipes. I'm not sure that's a good idea. I'm not sure I want to know what I'm eating. After Ivan was done butchering the goat yesterday, along with the normal meat, he also brought home things like the liver, heart, lungs, the head. I saw him cook the goat head in a pot for his dogs (that was a relief, learning it was for the dogs), but I didn't see what he did with the other stuff.

As soon as I was done eating, Elizabeth's daughter Nataly called to invite me over. Second time in Elizabeth's house, it's really nice. Her husband was "Pokolnik" in Soviet Army (Colonel). I learned that her home is built on the same land my grandmother was born on, the same land her mother's house had been. Elizabeth's home would not be out of place in a middle class American neighborhood. Very modern looking. They have a pretty large garden, lots of grape vines and trees. Elizabeth and Natalya showed me lots of old photos I hope I get a chance to copy. AND THEN MORE FOOD CAME OUT!!!!!!! I don't know if bean soup is a Wednesday tradition in Carpatya or not, but both Ivan and Natalya made it today. Natalya used beans from the garden; I have never seen beans this big. They're like mutants. Giant Lima or Navy beans. And salo, and salami, and chicken, and cauliflower, and bread,  and rice, and beer, and wine, and coffee. And you cannot have just wine. Or just beer. Or just coffee. You must have wine, beer, and coffee. All together.

I made it back to Klara's. Natalya walked me home. Sat and talked with Marta and Klara a while, Little cousin Katya called to talk to me. Went to my room, I've got fresh flowers on the table, fresh strawberries, walnuts, and a bottle of home-made wine waiting for me!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment