Please feel free to contact me with questions or comments at christopher.gajda@yahoo.com

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

From Dravtsi to Pidhorb by bicycle

Today,  (Tuesday) Klara and I spent the morning picking the last of the cucumbers, tomatoes, and squash, then chopping down the plants, removing the tomato stakes and the cucumber trellis latticework. Pulled out all the weeds, and prepared the ground to plant garlic?? If I understood Klara correctly, she will plant garlic where the squash and tomatoes had been, and they will grow over the winter, and be picked in the spring????





After lunch, about 1:30, I decided to take a bicycle trip, and see how far I could go. I couldn't go too far, because Klara needed the bike at 3:00. I was able to go from Dravtsi, through Baranyntsi and  Barvinok, to Pidhorb in less than 45 minutes. So I should easily be able to go to Serednie and back in a day. 

POLITICAL SIGNS ALONG THE WAY:

"Popular Front" 
"A strong team for a challenging time"


"Ukraine Prevail!"
"Fatherland Party"


"Time to Unite"
"Party of Petra Poroshenko"


There was an interesting article in the Uzhgorod news today.  Over the past year, repairs have been made to Uzhgorod School No. 3. .One entire wing was renovated, the medical office was renovated, classrooms were furnished with modern furniture and equipment, the facade was repaired, the roof was replaced, and lighting installed. What makes this newsworthy is that in School No. 3, all classes are taught in Russian.  So in the most Western part of Ukraine, where Putin's propaganda says that genocide of Russian speakers is occurring, The "Fascist" Ukrainian government has been renovating a school for Russian-speaking children.

Below, church in Barvinok. Judging from its architectural style, I would imagine it is Orthodox.


Below, monument to Edmond Egan, the Irish agricultural economist who introduced many changes in Zakarpattia, improving the lives of the people. In 1901, Egan was discovered dead along the road, probably murdered on orders from the gentry. The ordinary people of Dravtsi had this memorial to Egan built with their own money.




Interesting houses in Pihorb:




Mountains, seen from Pidhorb. I think this might be Zolota Hora - Golden Hill.



Church under construction in Barvinok:




Notice the ceiling supports; they're all rough logs. One thing I've noticed here in Zakarpattia is that all the lumber is rough cut. It's not planed, with softened corners like American lumber.



Cemetery chapel in Barvinok:



I calculated that I was able to bicycle the 3 1/2 to 4 miles from Dravtsi to Pidhorb in half an hour, so that's about 7-8 miles an hour. Serednie is just over 10 miles, so that might be my next bike trip. An hour and a half there, an hour of site seeing, and an hour and a half back - 4 hours total. I might stop at Velyki Lazy along the way.

I received an email from Lesya from the LT Language School, asking if I would teach a class at 6:30. I had 2 students, Maryana on the left, and Irina on the right.


Maryana is a lawyer, and Irina is a mother of two. Before having children, Irina worked as an accountant. Both speak English well, but want to improve. I've notice many "Notary" offices in town. I learned from Maryana that "Notary" offices in Ukraine are not to be confused with American "Notary Public" offices, who merely affix official stamps on documents. Ukrainian "Notary" offices are Law Offices. 

Maryana's father, mother, and brother live in America. Her father was a professional soccer player in Ukraine, and now coaches soccer at a school in America. Her brother graduated with a business degree in America, and just found a job with an investment firm in NYC. Both Irina and Maryana have traveled throughout Europe. One of their favorite places is Greece. They say that it is not expensive, and the water is beautiful. 

I told Maryana how this year, I flew into L'viv; since my cousins were picking me up at the airport, and if I flew to L'viv I wouldn't have to worry whether they were able to get a visa. Last year, my cousin Misha picked me up at the Budapest airport, but his visa expired before my return home. I had to take the train from Uzhgorod to Budapest. I learned that the train station and airport were about an hour apart, and the taxi fare alone was around $50. Marta and Klara bought my train ticket, so I don't know the total cost.

Maryana gave me the name and number of a man who runs a travel service in Chop. For $50, he will provide transportation by minibus between Budapest airport (or hotel) and Uzhgorod. All you need to do is call a day ahead, tell him what time you need picked up, and where you need to go.  ----"Vladislav......at 050-5866442." Definitely cheaper than the train and taxi, and much more convenient. 










No comments:

Post a Comment