Please feel free to contact me with questions or comments at christopher.gajda@yahoo.com

Friday, September 5, 2014

How Rusyns spend a holiday -picking mushrooms!

Got up early Friday morning to get ready, Misha was picking me up to go mushroom hunting in the forest, with his wife Miraslava, and his friends and neighbors Vasyl and Magda. We drove about an hour away, north through Perechyn, then east, and came to a nice spot in the mountains. Klara made sure I was wearing boots, jeans, long sleeve shirt, etc..........total mother hen. Then we set out through the woods looking for mushrooms. I found tons of mushrooms!! Unfortunately, all the ones I found were deadly poisonous. After Vasyl gave me an education on what to look for, I was able to find some very good mushrooms. We were after two types - big white mushrooms which would be eaten raw in a salad, and several types of brown mushrooms which we would cook. Here are some mushrooms  found:







One of the strangest mushrooms we found was this little red mushroom, which had several arms, it looked like a little octopus. I was told it was one of the deadliest.



DOESN'T LOOK LIKE A MUSHROOM, DOES IT????

There was another mushroom which was even too disgusting to photograph. It must have emitted the odor of rotting flesh or something, because every time I saw one, it was covered in flies!

Here are some forest photos:









When we finished picking mushrooms, we set up a picnic site with two fires - one for fish, and one for potatoes.


















We had a real feast in the forest! We had a cherry liquor, vodka, and beer; eggs, cheese, bread, tomatoes, eggplant, two types of potato, cole slaw, sausage, and a very good fish! I normally go out of my way to avoid fish, but this was really good! I wish I knew what kind it was; it was very mild - not fishy at all.........and watermelon for desert. Magda, Miraslava, and I slept for a while after eating, while Misha and Vasya looked for more mushrooms. This is the result of our mushroom hunt:





When we got back to Dractsi, we had another feast at Misha's house, with the main dishes the mushrooms we picked. We had raw white mushrooms with sour cream, and cooked brown mushrooms. Along with pork, tomatoes, cheese, potatoes, beer, vodka, and bread.



Goodnight! I'm worn out, and going to bed!


No comments:

Post a Comment