Please feel free to contact me with questions or comments at christopher.gajda@yahoo.com

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Wednesday - "Macaroni po Flotskii"

I'm thinking of using the name of the dish Ivan cooked for the name of the post for he day. Today's is "Macaroni po Flotskii", or "Macaroni, Navy Style". It's a very simple yet filling pasta dish - Fusili macaroni in a sauce made from garlic, onions, and pork fried in lard. The reason for this dish was to feed the workers Klara hired to help harvest potatoes.

Many in Dravtsi dig their potatoes by hand, with hoes. Klara hired a man with a tractor to turn over the soil with his attachments, and expose the potatoes.



Even with the use of a tractor, this is BACK-BREAKING STOOP LABOR! Klara hired several women (men won't do the work) to help gather the potatoes, and provided lunch and dinner in addition to whatever was paid.


  

Since I wasn't able to help harvest the potatoes (because A: I can't tell a good potato from a bad one, and B, they wouldn't let me help because I have a bad back), my contribution to the potato harvest was to go to the store and buy mineral water and vodka for the real workers. I was getting worried about the harvest, since it looked like it might rain. I was told that rain would ruin the exposed potatoes. But our luck held out, and all the potatoes were harvested before any rain. Marta estimated that there was over 2 tons of potatoes filling the bin when they were done.


While everyone else was hard at work, I went into Uzhgorod to get a WiFi internet modem for my laptop. In the central square, there was some activity, which I went to explore. In the square, people were helping needlepoint a huge display of Ukrainian unity. Since I was showing some interest, I was invited to participate, despite my protestations I knew nothing about needlepoint!





If you ever see this needlepoint artwork, three of the stitches are MINE!!!!

Also in Uzhgorod, I came upon a booth manned by volunteers who were trying to raise money for the Ukrainian troops fighting in the Donbas region.







I don't know what you've heard about the causes of this conflict - Putin claims native Russian speakers are discriminated against, and potential victims of "ethnic cleansing" by the "Fascist West Ukrainians", but I can tell you it is all BS. ....My little cousin is taught Russian songs in school, along with Ukrainian, English, and Hungarian songs....There is no ethnic hatred except what has been manufactured by Putin!

Well, time for bed! I'll post more tomorrow. Tune in to find out why Zakarpattia is called "The Silver Land"!!!

POST SCRIPT - I woke up today (Thursday), my back and knees killing me. All I did was walk along side Sasha while he pushed a wheelbarrow full of potatoes. I can't imagine how much everyone else hurts today!!! A few days ago, Klara had me put my hand on her knee and feel while she moved her leg.....I could actually feel all the grinding going on inside her knees!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment