Please feel free to contact me with questions or comments at christopher.gajda@yahoo.com

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Return to Zakarpattya

I just arrived in Zakarpattya two days ago. I've had a little trouble with my laptop, and could not download photo's until I did a system restore, so there will be no photo's on this entry for a day or two, until I have time to add them.

But here is the story of my return trip so far:

I booked my flight out of JFK instead of Pittsburgh; I was able to save at least $500 by doing that. I booked flight with Ukraine International, on a 767. UIA has very generous baggage allowances - I was able to bring two very large checked bags, plus a carry-on, and a huge computer backpack. For my trip last year on an American plane, I had to pay an additional $100 each way for my second checked bag. The plane was very clean, the stewardesses (who were all Ukrainian) were very professional, courteous, and helpful (unlike the staff on my flight home from Amsterdam last year). Most of the passengers were Ukrainians, returning home. I asked the girl sitting next to me whether she had any difficulty obtaining a US visa, since my relatives had always told me how difficult it is. She said that because of the trouble in Ukraine, visa requirements have been loosened. She had just finished her university education to become a teacher, and had gone to America to do student teaching there (if I understood her correctly).

The flight from JFK to Kiev was very comfortable, but even though the flight left at 12:30 in the morning, I could not get any sleep. (I can't even sleep in a moving car). There were plenty of on board movies, and you had a choice of language to hear. The Kiev terminal was very modern. I've always seen pictures of Russian and Ukrainian airports showing tall grass growing on the runways, in the concrete joints. There was none of that! With the exception of the Amsterdam airport, I don't think I've seen a better facility. The first surprise was when we landed. The landing was very, very smooth. And as soon as we landed, the entire plane broke out in applause for the pilot!! You won't see that in America!

Everyone at the terminal was helpful, giving me directions to the correct gate for my flight to L'viv. I took advantage of my 2 hour layover to shave and clean up, taking a bird-bath. I was surprised that I was able to buy a razor inside the terminal's security zone. I cut myself shaving, and although it was a small cut, I couldn't stop the bleeding. People saw me holding tissue to my chin to try and stop bleeding, and without my asking, several Ukrainians came over to help me. One woman at a cafe brought me some tissue soaked in vodka, to try and sop the bleeding. Another woman brought me several bandages. In America, if you were stabbed with a butcher knife, everyone would just watch you bleed to death.

To get to my departure gate, I had to go through customs and security. When my carry-on was x-rayed, I was pulled of to the side, and a security officer asked to examine its contents. I didn't have anything to hide, so I politely consented. The security officer was friendly and professional, not antagonistic at all. My carry-on was filled with all kinds of computer and electronic equipment, and he just asked me what each was, and what it was for. I found out that the thing that had got his attention on the x-ray scan was my microphone tripod; folded, it resembled a pistol!! Even though he thought I might be carrying a pistol in me luggage, he still treated me very courteously! In America, I would have been tazed, handcuffed, beaten, and shot, before they knew what I had.

   For the flight from Kiev to L'viv, I was on a smaller plane, but just as modern and comfortable. We landa about 9:00PM Ukraine time. Again, when we landed, everyone applauded the pilot. Must be a Ukrainian custom. It only took 10 minutes to pick up my checked baggage, and Misha, Martha, Klara, and Natalia were there waiting for me. Misha had sold his old Zhiguli, and was driving a new Ford SUV. Before leaving, I had told Klara that I didn't want them to drive and pick me up. I said that I wanted to spend the night in a hotel, get some rest, and then take the train. Or take the train overnight and sleep on the train. After picking me up, Klara pointed out to me that there were NO hotels anywhere near the airport, and it was pretty far from the train station. The ride from L'viv to Uzhgorod took about 4 hours; Klara pointed out to me that we were driving through a very scenic beech forest, and too bad it was night and I couldn't see. I was able to make out that we were driving through some steep mountains at times.

When we got to Klara's house, Ivan was waiting with food already prepared, table set, wine and cognac on the table. We started with a pork soup (I can't remember the name of the soup - "pala-something"), very good, almost like American chicken soup except with pork. Then pork cutlets, rice, cucumbers, tomatoes, and bread. After eating, I quickly fell asleep in the room Klara had prepared for me - very comfortable.
I'll stop here, and post this entry now. Tomorrow I will add photo's.


No comments:

Post a Comment