Please feel free to contact me with questions or comments at christopher.gajda@yahoo.com

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Saturday - worked in the fields like a peasant.

Klara got all her help together this morning, Vaska, Ludmila, Maria, Misha, Sasha, went out to another field Ivan and Klara own in Baranyntsi. The man with the tractor had already plowed up the potatoes, and everyone got together to pick them. My knees and back were really bothering me, so I helped Klara pick corn instead.


 At least I didn't have to bend over. Still, this was peasant style manual labor from 200 years ago. I felt like one of the people in this photo below.

In addition to corn and potatoes, the Baranyntsi plot has several types of peppers, several types of pumpkins and squashes, daikon radish, kohlrabi, and cucumbers.






The pumpkins and squash are grown for the pigs. They'll be harvested and put in the sheds in about a month.

Misha's wife Miraslava made lunch for all the workers, and we ate about 2:00pm.  First we had some apple and plum Kompote she made by boiling apples and plums in water. The fruit can be eaten afterwards.


Then we started off with a soup made from smoked and dry-cured ham, beans, and freshly made pasta. Next we had rice with pork, a salad of cucumbers and peppers, bread, VODKA, and a plum cake Miraslava had made.






                                     

After lunch, Klara sent me home to rest, while everyone went back to the fields to cut the corn stalks with "Matika's" - big broad bladed hoes.

Home, I got on the internet to read the news at "uzhgorod.in/en/news"; Today in town, Ruslan Kahanets with Pravii Sektor is giving a presentation on the women and girls who fought for a free Ukrainian state in 1917-1921, with the "Legion of Ukrainian Sich Riflemen", and also their participation in the Carpathian Liberation Movement 1938-1939, with the "Carpathian Sich." Having read a booklet on the history of Dravtsi, I was familiar with the Carpathian Sich. At least half a dozen boys from Dravtsi were killed, fighting in the Sich. I would have liked to seen the presentation, but I'm too tired. I'm sure there will be other events.

Got on Skype with friend Cherie Murcko back in the States. Hard to believe that from 6,000 miles away you can have a crystal clear video call, FOR FREE!!! This was science fiction when I was growing up.

Klara and Marta went to the Church, to clean in preparation for Liturgy tomorrow. They took my little cousin Annichka with them. Annichka learns English at kindergarden, and told me that every night she sleeps with a stuffed lamb I got her last year.

The Greek Catholic Church of the Nativity of the Most Holy Mother of God in Dravtsi









Leaving the Church, I headed to Marta's house. Her son Misha, grand-daughter Natalia and her husband Pavlo, grand-daughter Martha, and Annichka were just having supper, so I joined them for chicken, potatoes, salad, bread, kompote, and cake made by Martuchka. News of the war was on TV - Pavlo remarked that the war was very stupid, as just months ago the same people fighting in East Ukraine were drinking and eating together. If the war continues into winter, Pavlo will be mobilized to fight.

There was a wedding celebration going on down the street; I stopped to take a photo on my way home. Tried to get a decent photo without being too rude.

Tomorrow, will get up, go to Liturgy, the dinner at Bela Vas'ko's house. Bela is the son of my grand-father's brother. He retired a few years ago as School Director for Dravtsi; his degrees were in Ukrainian Language and Literature. His wife was a chemistry teacher. Bela's father,Andrew Vas'ko,  had made two trips to America in the 1920's, spending more than 10 years working in America. He returned to Dravtsi in 1932, after his own father died. (little known fact - over 70% of Our People who came to America for work, RETURNED HOME. The people who stayed, mostly stayed because of the 1924 Immigration restrictions - they knew that if they left, they would probably never be able to return to America, where many had established families.)


No comments:

Post a Comment